Have a licensing legal issue?
Call us on 020 7060 4773 or request a callback 

Personal Licence

Personal Licence Applications and Challenges

A Personal Licence authorises the sale or supply of alcohol under a Premises Licence. Either the establishment owner or a member of staff must hold a ‘personal licence’ in order to sell alcohol from licensed premises, so that every sale or supply of alcohol is authorised by a personal licence holder.

A Personal Licence is granted by the Local Authority where the individual normally lives and is granted for 10 years. The criteria for the granting of a personal license stipulate that an individual must be: a) over 18 years old b) and possess an accredited licensing qualification – the Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH).

In order for you to be able to sell alcohol at a licensed premises, it is required that you or a member of your staff hold a Personal Licence or alternatively, be authorised by a Personal Licence holder. In the case of Temporary Event Notices (which is applicable when an event has fewer than 500 people at all times, including staff running the event and the lasts no more than 168 hours), you must be authorised by the person that gave the notice. Since the implementation of the Deregulation Act 2015, a Personal Licence does not need to be renewed once it has been granted.

Personal Licence

Either the establishment owner or a member of staff must hold a 'personal licence' in order to sell alcohol from licensed premises, so that every sale or supply of alcohol is authorised by a personal licence holder."

Many bar staff, restaurateurs and others who are regularly involved in alcohol sales will prefer to obtain their own licence as this has benefits for employers and enables them to be selected to take on the role of the Designated Premises Supervisor. Having completed the relevant qualifications for the DPS role, applicants must also obtain a criminal records check. This CRB check must then be submitted it to the relevant Council with their pass certificate, an application form and the appropriate fee. Having a criminal record does not necessarily prevent someone from getting a personal licence. The success or failure of an application in these circumstances will largely depend on the view of the police and if there is an objection from them, a hearing will take place to decide whether the licence should be granted or not.

We can assist with the process of applying for a licence and take care of all matters arising from applications for a personal license.


Dealing with objections to Personal Licence applications?

Our Licensing Defence Barristers are here to help!
Get in touch with us for professional advice and assistance

So why choose Licensing Defence Barristers? Simply put, we are leaders in the field of licensing law and our results speak for themselves!

Our professional, results-focussed team of licensing barristers cover the full spectrum of licensing law including Personal licenses, Premises licences, construction of operating schedules, application for designated premises supervisors (DPS), dealing with representations from all relevant parties, advising on conditions, variation of premises licence, reviews of premises licence and transfer of premises licence, closure orders, club premises certificates, temporary event notices and all aspect of investigation and interview relating to potential prosecutions.

Our licensing barristers regularly advise and represent clients from pre-application stage, right through sub-committee and and if necessary, on appeal to any court.

Contact us if you need to discuss any issues relating to your registration.

Contact Licensing Defence Barristers

Have a licensing legal issue?

Call Licensing Defence Barristers today

020 7060 4773