When a licencing application is made, Regulations 38 and 39 of the Premises Licences Regulations set out the requirements for licensing authority to advertise an application. Once a licensing authority has received an application to review, it must advertise the application for a period of no less than 28 days. The 28 days will begin on the day after the application was given to the licensing authority.
The requirements for the advertisement are as follows
- It must be the size equal to or larger than A4.
- It must be of a pale blue colour.
- It must be legible, be in black in and in a font size no less than 16.
The notice must be displayed:
- At or near the site of the premises which the application relates to. It must be in clear public viewing for the public to read. If a building is more than 50 metres square. A notice must be displayed every 50 metres along the premises.
- If the licensing authority uses a website to advertise a review application. The notice of the application for review must be put up on that website.
Notices that are displayed online or on the premises must contain
- The address of the premises that an application for a review has been made.
- The dates between which responsible authorities and any other parties may make representations to the licensing authority.
- The grounds for the review.
- The postal address and web address where the register of the relevant licensing authority is being held and where and when the grounds for review may be inspected.
- It must be highlighted on the advertisement the fact that it is an offence to knowingly or recklessly make a false statement and a person will be liable to a fine.
Our team of highly skilled licensing defence barristers assist with the entire stages of the licensing review process, should you have any questions or seek any further legal advice on this topic or other legal issues, please feel free to get in contact. If you would like even more in depth knowledge on the licensing review process, feel free to browse the rest of our blogs on this topic.